Thursday 17 February 2011

What's in a name?

Something I should have perhaps explained in my first post, the title of this blog 'Fashionable Nonsense' encapsulates the 'manifesto' set out in that post; 


"to undermine contemporary dogma with it's countless irrationalities and inconsistencies. In so doing, I in turn hope to undermine - in whatever tiny way - the increasingly authoritarian tendencies that proceed from those politically correct credos. And hopefully have a laugh or two along the way."


The address of the blog  http://edmundberk.blogspot.com/ reflects my nomme de plume, 'fashionablenonsense.blogspot.com' having been unavailable. 


This name also reflects my intentions. On one hand, through the reference to Edmund Burke, I refer also to what he represents - a beacon of sanity amidst the utopian zealots in his own time. On the other, through the substitution of Berk for Burke, hopefully a reminder to myself that I am no Burke, and to not take myself too seriously. 


It is also a signal of my second intention - to have a laugh. And finally, for those familiar with the origins of 'Berk' in cockney rhyming slang, I have also suitably labelled myself for the Guardian reading sorts who may take issue with what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment